bySonu BohraSep 21, 2015 #FbLoves 8 Likes
Who: Sonu Bohra.
Profession: Fashion writer and beauty product hoarder
Accessory of choice: Red Lipstick
Number in make-up bag: 12
Occasion to wear: Everyday/ everywhere
Mission in life: Empower women with red lips
So what’s the story:
• I loved admiring my mom, with her ever-chic and well put-together style every time she stepped out. As she exited, I always tried on a little bit of her blush and lipstick and I remember being nervous, shy and imagining I could never wear red lipstick out of my house. Cut to today, when no day passes (yes, even during my weekly errands) without a bright swipe on me.
• For years women have struggled with societal pressures and expectations. From how we should look to how we should behave, everything is dictated to us. From risqué to romantic, a bold lip has been marked by plenty of drama. It was infamously decried as fit for lower-class women in the mid-1500s, and a controversial British Parliament law in the 1700s stated that made-up women were witches who attempted to lure men into marriage. The attitude that makeup was a form of deception was common at the time. Unfortunately my all-time favourite accessory has seen many ups and downs.
• This year, I’ve been on a mission to convert all non-lipstick wearers to adopt this weapon to take over the world. Three of my girlfirends are converts already. I almost feel like Queen Elizabeth I in the late 1500s who revived the look as she often opted to don a pale white face with bright crimson lips.
• From a glossy marsala red to matte vermillion, I’ve come a long way from my first lipstick purchase to now. Back then, I didn’t understand which red suited my skin tone so I went with the salesgirl's choice. Now I have more than needed weapons in my arsenal. My favourite lipstick is NYX Pure Red, Mac Ruby Woo, Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet 46 La Maliceuse and Guerlain Rouge G L’extrait M25 Colere.
• My final plea is to all women out there shying away and abstaining from this magical tool. Women of all ages and walks of life can/should rock the red lip, and history has only proven that its powerful effects are here to stay!
no images were found
Subscribe for Newsletter